Estate Planning‎ > ‎Redflags‎ > ‎Lost Vital Documents‎ > ‎

Good Starting Points


  • Address Change  – When you move, be sure to change your address with a few government agencies so that you'll continue to receive mail and any government benefits at your new location.
  • Bank Records  – Financial tips and resources for disaster recovery. 
    (.PDF | requires Adobe Acrobat Reader )
  • Birth, Marriage, and Death Certificates  – Get records based on the location of the birth, death, marriage, or divorce.
  • Damaged Money  – The Treasury Department will exchange mutilated or damaged U.S. currency.
  • Document Restoration--Fire  – The Library of Congress offers information on restoring fire-damaged documents and collections.
  • Document Restoration--Flood  – The National Archives offers information on how to care for your flood damaged photos, books, papers and more
  • Drivers' Licenses and Vehicle Registration  – Find your state's motor vehicle department to get or replace your driver's license and register your car.
  • Federal Civilian Personnel Records  – Go to the National Archives for guidance on requesting personnel records for former federal civilian employees. Current federal workers can get personnel records from their Human Resources office.
  • Green Card Replacement  – Get instructions on how to replace a lost, stolen, or damaged permanent resident card (green card).
  • Medical Information Form  – Download a form where you can record medical conditions and other health information for use in an emergency situation.
  • Medicare Card Replacement  – How to replace a lost, stolen or damaged Medicare card
  • Military Service Records  – How to get copies of military service records, to prove military service or for genealogy research
  • Passport  – Lost or stolen passports should be reported immediately. Contact the nearest U.S. embassy or Consulate if your passport is lost or stolen overseas.
  • Savings Bonds Recovery  – Cash and replace lost, stolen, or destroyed bonds.
  • School Records  – Contact your former school, or the appropriate school district if the school has closed.
  • Social Security Card Replacement  – How to replace a lost or stolen Social Security card
  • Tax Return  – Request a copy of your federal tax return from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).